Friday, July 10, 2009

Child of God

While I was contemplating the reasons why I smoked and continued to do so for so many years and why I don't see that it is important to take care of my body, I came to the conclusion that I don't have very high self-esteem. As I studied what the bible has to say about self-esteem I realized that having high self -esteem isn't necessarily something that I should be trying to obtain! There are actually benefits to having low self-esteem that are biblical such as humility. Also, as a christian I know that I need to be reminded daily of how short I fall and that I am still a sinner. Without this constant realization, I tend to forget my need for a savior. I found and article that described "proper" christian self-esteem as being known by the following:
  • I am chosen by God
  • Redeemed by the precious blood of Jesus Christ
  • Regenerated and indwelt by the holy spirit a new creation in Christ
  • Justified by faith and therefore accepted by God
  • Adopted by God and an heir
  • Sanctified
  • Destined for glory

Is Good Self-esteem Important for a Christian and How is it Developed? David Englelsma http://www.prca.org/pamphlets/pamplet_57.html

There are many verses that support the above and one that come to mind is as follows:

Romans 8:16-17 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his suffering in order that we may share in his glory. Romans 8:16-17

I needed to be reminded of my inheritance today so I could live like a child of the King . . . how about you?

1 comment:

  1. Very nice Jewelee...
    I think one reason you need to be told is that your Mom told you otherwise too many times. She never meant to berate you...she was ill. She got help...she's still getting help, but she also figured out that she IS loved by God. That makes it easier to "do and say the right things", but we still FALL DOWN and we DO need DAILY and MINUTE TO MINUTE confession. We CAN KNOW that we are loved and we CAN find the TRUTH! It's all in the SEEKING! THANKS JEWELEE!

    ReplyDelete