Friday, July 3, 2009

The Journey that Brought me Here

Right now, I am starting so many new things in my life that starting a new blog felt appropriate. My previous blog focused mostly on the day to day and was a nice way to keep those who live further away connected with me. I've struggled with keeping up with it though and I think that a lot of that has to do with feeling like evverything that I was writing was so trivial. I hope to make this blog more that just a report of my day to day but also a record of my faith and what God is doing in my life for that is far less trivial.

It's been over four years since my husband passed away. In many ways they have been four very long years. I've struggled with finding my new identity without him in my life. I am so thankful that I knew Jesus before I started on this journey. As difficult as it has been, I have always had hope that comes through my faith. I also have the assurance of my idenity in Christ which I know that I will never lose. When I think of those who have to go through similar experiences without that hope, I don't know how they survive. I have however finally come to a place where I recognize areas of my life that I have not given fully into God's hands. I have been so stubborn. Despite being told through his Word that I am worth it. I have told myself time and time again that I am not.

Psalm 139:13-16 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139:13-16

The one area of my life that I struggle the most with this is my health. I've not taken care of my body.

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple. 1 Corinthians 3:16-17

I am taking steps now with God's help to work on this area of my life. Please pray for me as I attempt to quit smoking. It has been two and a half days so far. By far, it is one of the most difficult things that I have ever done. I know that my God is strong and mighty and that he will deliver me from this because I have asked him to.

Several things have been on my mind over the last several years including having a child of my own, serving through world missions, a career, falling in love again. I have prayed for the Lord to show me his will for my life. Until recently, not many doors have opened in any of the above areas. That has left me feeling like me life has been in a holding pattern. Our church is taking a mission trip to Costa Rica in December. After several doors were open for me regarding this trip and through prayerful consideration, I have taken a step of faith and joined the team that will be going. I will be sharing about the preparations for the trip here, so keep checking back for updates.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! I'm so glad you started a new blog. I love the background! I'm going to be a groupie!
    love ya and miss ya!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jewelee...

    This is my third attempt to comment! Never had so much trouble "talking"!

    We are SO PROUD of you, but even more...WE ARE SO HAPPY YOU ARE ON THE QUEST TO QUIT SMOKING! It's for YOUR sake that we are MOST happy! Keep on this journey and thanks also for all you mean to ME! I feel accepted and loved by you in spite of MYSELF. I am THANKFUL you were born and THANKFUL that you've allowed me IN your life...even though it's not been easy for you! THANKS MUCH! I'LL ALWAYS LOVE YOU!...AND your SISTERS, too!!!...Forever...It's a mother thing and YOU are definitely worth any trouble you put me through! LOVE YOU MUCH! Mom

    ReplyDelete